Re: Multi-size, Multi-Bit depth icons

The scaled bitmaps look a little rough and sometimes you can't make
out what it is at all. Multiple images at different sizes are (may) be
needed when pixel based resizing elimanates the to visual cues human
minds for edge detection. Does, imlib take edges and constrast into
consideration when scaling.

The smaller scaled images appear much more jagged than the normal. Try
scaling an image with ee (BTW, raster, great program) and then try
scaleing the same image the gimp. See the difference. The gimp image
is much more eye-pleasing but take longer to generate than ee/imlib. I
think gimp uses sampling rather than scaling -- I don't know for sure.

But since imlib (and I assume ee) supports EIM (which I didn't know
existed, thanks for info) I guess I should shut-up and make some EIM's
<grin>

Reklaw

---raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On 15 Jul, Frater Reklaw shouted:
> ->  I just compiled the panel out of CVS. Some of the small icons on
the
> ->  menu look terrible because the resizing. Would it be possible for
> ->  GNOME to start a new icon format which at least supports multiple
> ->  sizes of icons and possibly multiple bit depths of icons.
>
> 1. mutliple bit depths isn't needed - imlbi handles this
transparently.
> 2. multiple sizes arent much use - imlib scales if asked to. :)
> 3. if you MUST have multiple sizes (or multiple states or images in a
> single file) imlib alreday has support for the EIM format whihc allows
> this (it can load AND save/append images to EIM files).
>
> ->  Do the *.desktop have/use icons entries for multiple sizes.
> ->
> ->  Creating a new format would require changes to graphics programs
(and
> ->  imlib) whereas multiple entries would require keeping track of
more
> ->  files.
> ->
> ->  just throwing out ideas,
> ->  Reklaw
> ->
> ->
> ->
> ->  _________________________________________________________
> ->  DO YOU YAHOO!?
> ->
> ->
>
> --
> --------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am"
> raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___
raster@redhat.com
> Carsten Haitzler           | _ //__\\ __||_ __\\ ___|| _ /  Red Hat
> 218/21 Conner Drive        || // __ \\_ \ | |   \ _/_|| /
Development Labs
http://www.rasterman.com/