Speech? (was sound and gnome ?)

seeing this whole thing is going to be modular, lets not forget speech
synthesis--I'd LOVE to have a system where every app that
generates/displays text can also interface to something like the Festival
speech synthesis system..I know there are big issues with formatting etc,
but that's surely half the fun ;-)

it would be excellent if at least the hooks were there...

Apple got about 20% of the way with the MacinTalk/MacSpeech systems, but
never really integrated it in to the OS...