Re: session management support

Carsten> This ended in a complete rewrite of the gnome session
Carsten> management support, which is (in my opinion) a little bit
Carsten> more gtk-ish than the now used support, and has some
Carsten> additional features:

I looked at this.

Carsten> * Support for more than one session management client (This
Carsten> could be a different aproach to the InitializationCommand
Carsten> problem.  It also should be possible to rewrite a more
Carsten> tolerant 'smproxy' program with gnome config file support)

Yeah.

Actually now I think there is no good solution to the initialization
problem.  I can expound on this if anybody is interested.

Carsten> * The session id is read automtically from the given command
Carsten> line parameters, when creating a new gnome_client object.

Yeah.  While this idea is good, the implementation is actually
moderately lame, I think.  Not to say that it's your fault!  I think
the idea of libraries extracting arguments from the command line is
inherently lame.

I think the problems involved (and I can enumerate them if you like)
with this approach are solvable.  What we need is to give libraries
the ability to add command-line arguments, and then having the parsing
done in one central place.

I think the GNU "argp" library is capable of doing this.  Perhaps we
could get Gtk (optionally), Gnome (definitely) and Gnome apps to all
use this library instead of GNU getopt.

Carsten> I would like this code to be understood as a proposal, and
Carsten> would especially like Tom Tromey to have a look (and possibly
Carsten> a comment) on this.

My only real concerns are:

1. Does it work?
2. Will you be updating all the clients that use the existing
   interface?

Other than that, it looks fine to me.

Tom