Re: Menu creation gnome_app_create_menu vs. GtkMenuFactory

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, [iso-8859-1] Horacio J. Peņa wrote:

> Why do we've two very similar ways to create menus? What should i use
> and why?

I looked at the menufactory just now. It's an overly complicated method
IMHO - you have to do a bunch of function calls to get anything going,
whereas the GnomeApp menu (and toolbar) helper stuff is just you creating
a bunch of struct's. The hierarchical and separated organization of the

I don't mind having two alternatives - people can use whichever they want.

> In a first look i would prefer GMF, because it has support for accelerators,
> but i would like to hear your opinions...

Support for accelerators is trivial to add to the gnome-app-helper
routines.

> I'm trying made the same-gnome and gnome mines more consistent, and i
> would like having not only external coherence but internal coherence
> too. (sorry for my poor english)

I see your point, and yes, it's nice to have, but I find the GMF stuff too
complicated for my tastes ;-)

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.