Re: Panel GUI

Jason Gilbert <jason@scott.net> writes:

> I think it would be nice, and easy to change, if the shared libraries
> that contain applets were stored in a separate dir like
> $lib_dir/gnome/applets
> so they are separate from stuff stored in your regular lib dir.  Maybe
> also, there could be a directory under each users homedir where they
> could have their own applet libs stored.  Then, the panel or other apps,
> could look in both a system and user dir when showing available applets
> for adding.

This is overlap with the CORBA stuff that we will eventually have.

Here's the way I see it.  The applets will just be embedded
applications.  They may be implemented with any activation method that
our "GOA" supports - ie. shared library, staticly linked in, a shared
"server" executable, or separate unshared executables, etc.

These will be registered with the centralized "document-type" service.
(sort of a super-mailcap)

The panel applets might all be registered as a "panel applet" document
type.  So when you go to insert an applet, the panel just gets the
list of "panel applet" document-types from the "document-type" service.

The panel itself would just be a pretty simple container object with a
nicely tuned GUI.  It would use the GOA to embed the applets.

Until we get our embedding system worked out - it's probably not a bad
idea to just make the panel and it's applets a monolithic app like it
is now.

Personally, I think the name "drawer" would be a more descriptive name
for the panel, since it slides in and out of the side of the screen.
(It's probably more confusing if you don't know that word in English,
though)

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature