Re: Scroll bars.

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 03:29:45PM +0100, ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:
> > It would be MUCH more sane to place them on the left and put the up and
> > down (and perhaps a page up and down) button all togeather on the top or
> > bottom..

Thats a good idea!

> And this.  However, I observe that:
>
> *   scrolling up and down by dragging the little marker is painful if
> there's a lot of area to scroll (i.e. the directory listing contains
> lots of files)  Precision is lost.
> *   scolling with line-up or line-down buttons is to cumbersome, I never
> use it.
> *   scrolling with page-up and page-down by clickin in the scrollbar,
> but outside of the marker causes me to miss the point I was at, unless
> there's some visible anchor, and besides, it doesn't seem like an
> intuitive way to do it.  (Inconsistent amount of scrolling)
> *   using the keyboard (arrows, pageUp/Dn) is much more convenient and
> faster in most cases.
>
> One possible addition would be for the user to grab the text pane with
> the mouse and scroll it directly.

One of the nice innovations given to us by Andrew (the AUIS) is the point
and mark indicators in the scrollbar trough.  With these you can visualise
the marked region in relation to the document, and quickly scroll between
point and mark... perhaps one could bookmark points of a document and have
them show up in the scroll bar trough as a visual aid.  I am sure that
plenty of uses for this ideom could be found with some thought (and a
prototype !?).

Cheers,
		Gary V Vaughan