Re: RPM and Corba/GNOME

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> Alex deVries wrote:
> > But, I'm going to have a look at the CORBA interface to rpmlib in the
> > meantime.
>
> Depending on how you define the interfaces, you may be able to set up a
> system where you could upgrade a whole bunch of systems all at once with
> a single interface.  Great for people that have to manage clusters.

That's _definitely_ the goal.

But, it isn't just packaging that you should be able to do wthis with.
You should be able to change everything that way, like print spooling and
NFS mounts. That's where linuxconf fits in.

I think the layering should look like this on the client:

|                  CORBA                       |
|----------------------------------------------|
|                 LinuxConf                    |
|----------------------------------------------|
I RPM I Deb I LPNG I Mounts ... other services |

Now, note that I have zero experience with LinuxConf; in the docs there's
mention of some sort of networking to it; I don't know if we want to use
CorBA to do this, or if we want to use LinuxConf's own network.

Actually, maybe we don't want to use LinuxConf at all.  The reason I bring
it up is that there was some mention of a Gnome interface, and I remember
Donnie B from RH saying they were looking into it as the main config
interface.

The next thing is that the whole Corba/Linuxconf layer could be replaced
with something more heterogenous like SNMP and a load of MIBS.

So, I don't know quite how all this should fit together.  We should figure
this out, if it isn't decided already.

- Alex