Re: gnomes gtk+/glib fails VPATH install

Gary> May I humbly retract the comments above?

Gary> It occurs to me that headers are implicitly architecture
Gary> dependent anyway, rendering this a non-issue.  I couldn't cross
Gary> mount gcc headers from a machine with different architecture and
Gary> expect to be able to link against them.  Similarly, if I run a
Gary> cross compiler, I need a set of target headers to link against,
Gary> as the headers on my host machine are not expected to work.

Most headers are not implicitly architecture dependent.  Many headers
are perfectly architecture independent.  That is why includedir is
under prefix and not exec-prefix.

For instance, nearly every Gtk header is architecture independent.  I
can provide many, many examples if this isn't convincing enough (e.g.,
<tcl.h>, <tk.h>, ...).

gcc headers (if I understand your meaning -- the ones made by
fixincludes?) are a special case, and they are stored in exec-prefix
anyway.

Putting architecture dependent headers into includedir is losing for
anybody who actually shares $prefix.

Tom