Re: Just my 0.02$ on sound and stuff... (CORBA)

Florian Hars wrote:

> FYI: Some people are working on distributed real-time CORBA with things
> like audio and video streaming, the licence is essentialy "do what you
> want, but don't make the source non-free":
>
>   http://siesta.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html

However, TAO, the ORB based on ACE, includes pieces of code derived from
some Sun code and has some kind of weird Sun license attached to it.  I
realize this sort of strays from the original topic but, the Real-time
CORBA Event Service looks pretty interesting.  It's described in a
paper, "The Design and Performance of a Real-time CORBA Event Service" -
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/corba-research-realtime.html

I don't know if our requirements for an Event Service are quite
Real-time, but it couldn't hurt.  The design is very modular so we don't
necessarily have to go all the way.  If anyone would like to discuss the
Event Service (or GnomeEventManager or whatever it's to be called) send
followups to the gnome-component-list.

jason

--
Jason Gilbert | http://www.scott.net/~jason/ | http://www.mantissa.com/

"The total job will be in the software, and we'll be able to write big
fat programs. We can let them run somewhat inefficiently because there
will be so much horsepower that just sits there. The real focus won't
be who can cram it down in, or who can do it in machine language. It
will be on who can define the right user interface and properly
integrate the main packages." -- Bill Gates, PC Magazine 1982