Re: How to install gnome-guile and gnome-core

Hari> X_CFLAGS should contain ' -I /path/to/X11/include'.

Gary> Shouldn't there be a X_CPPFLAGS for this?  and, presumably, a
Gary> X_LDFLAGS to hold the matching '-L /path/to/X11/lib'.  I have
Gary> several test libraries installed underneath my home directory
Gary> and often need to type:

What you call X_CPPFLAGS is called X_CFLAGS by autoconf.  There is
something like X_LDFLAGS (also with a different name).

Gnome seems to put the linker flags into some variables that are used
in most makefiles.  However, the cpp flags aren't treated the same
way.  I don't know why.  This seems to the be the root of your
problems.

Miguel> What is X_CFLAGS used for?  I have removed most of the
Miguel> references I have found to it in the gnome packages.

Gary> It seems to be where autoconf puts *required* CFLAGS to be added
Gary> to automake's $COMPILE macro, so that if I type "make
Gary> CFLAGS='-mpentium -O6'" I only clobber the default '-g -O'
Gary> switches (automake puts this in CFLAGS), but not the '-fPIC'
Gary> (which is in X_CFLAGS).

This is wrong.

X_CFLAGS holds the flags that autoconf thinks are required to find the
X include files.

Automake's standard COMPILE definition does not reference X_CFLAGS.

We definitely need to include X_CFLAGS in our include file search
list.  Probably this should just be stuck in something in
gnomeConf.sh.

Gary> Whatever was wrong is now fixed for me at least.  However, the
Gary> final link for each app' includes several libraries twice...

Gary> gcc is kind enough to tolerate this, but I expect most
Gary> prroprietry compilers will choke on it.

This is safe.  It just means that some libraries will be searched
twice by the linker.  It has nothing to do with gcc per se.

However, it is slightly ugly to link against a library twice.  I
believe I fixed this specific problem in the cvs repository
(gnome-libs/configure.in was defining some variables incorrectly).
Could you try it to make sure?

Tom