Re: "Official" gnome window manager

Marcus Butler <marcusb@wspice.com> writes:

> > Who needs absolute consistency?
>
>  A desktop system needs it.  That is part of what a desktop system is.
> Desktop systems are supposed to make computers easier to use.  New users
> won't find it easier if one "Gnome" system they walk up to behaves one way
> and another behaves and looks differently.

> > Nobody is going to choose absolute consistency over choice.
>
>  That is an poorly-researched statement.  New users will.  Whether or not
> you care to admit it, different window styles *do* confuse some novice
> users.  I have had to deal with several such people in the past.  Some of
> them, believe it or not, were running Linux.

I have dealt with many novice users too.  It is true that they want
absolute consistency.

Unfortunately, they want absolute consistency with what they already
know, which may be Win95, Win3.1 or the Mac.

Unless we do an interface and window manager that matches Win95
exactly, the average user will have to spend some time to acquaint
themselves with the new system.

That should kill the "absolute consistency" argument, I hope.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature