From: Paul Hepworth <phepworth@s-vision.com>
To: 'gnome-list@gnome.org' <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Date: Thursday, 12 February 1998 10:31 am
Subject: RE: links

>> From: Mark Eaton[SMTP:hettar@uq.net.au]
>> I disagree. I use ln -s blah blah blah all the time and
it is exellent
>> yes. I wish I could use it under Windoze. But it doesn't
do what say
>> kdelnk does. It doesn't store gui info such as icon or
tooltips. It
>> doesn't let you setup up parameters to be passed when
run. There are
>> lots of things that say a glnk could do that linking
can't. I think
>> that having both would be the best solution.
>>
>I'd say let the user attach icon/tooltips/parameters and
other extended
>information to ANY file, not just to a link.  If I want
tooltips
>(comments) and specific icons for certain folders, my
executables, and
>specific data files (in addition to sym links to programs),
I should be
>able to do this.  It would be simple to add extended
attributes without
>filesystem support (since we don't have fs support) using
either DFM's
>one-file-database-in-home-dir or (my preference) in a .EAs
file in each
>directory that contains files with extended attributes.
>The .EAs file could be text editable looking something like
this:
>---------
>"A filename that has EAs associated with it" {
>  icon=hideous.xpm
>}
>
>anotherFile.dat {
>  mimetype="some mimetype to override the extension-assumed
type"
>  tooltip="A piece of text to quickly describe the
program/folder/file"
>  icon=cool.xpm
>  doc="man:manpage"
>  #doc="info:foo.info"
>  run="$x -d4 $f"
>  # $x is system-wide program associated with this mimetype
>  # $f is filename (of this file)
>  # $p is full pathname of file
>  # $1, $2, $* etc. represent dropped files
>  # $1p, $2p, etc. represent full path names of dropped
files
>  # $c is current working directory
>  # $? would suggest that the shell prompt the user for
input
>parameter(s)
>  # default for non-executable files is run="$x $f"
>  # default for executable files is "$f $*"
>  paramsDefault="untitled.text"
>  # default paramsDefault is "$f" for non-executable, "$*"
for
>executable
>  paramsPrompt="Enter filename(s):"
>  # default prompt is "Enter parameters for $x:" for
nonexecutable
>  # default prompt is "Enter parameters for $f:" for
executable
>}
>
>"aJavaProg.class" {
>  icon=neato.xpm
>  doc="some prog.html"
>  run="java thePackage.theSubPackage.aJavaProg"
>  # needed because an association isn't sufficient to run
>  #   a java class that's in a package
>  #   (alternatively, the standard program launcher could
parse
>  #     the class file for package name as well as for the
existence
>  #     of main() or "extends Applet")
>}
>
>"some text file" {
>  tooltip="third letter to my mother requesting that raise
to my
>allowance:-)"
>  run="preferedEditor $f":"altEditor -lineNumbers
$f":"yaEditor -f $f"
>  # will run preferedEditor by default (double click),
>  #   but context menu, for example, would contain the
other options
>  print=preferedEditor:"text2ps $f | lpr"
>}
>-----------
>
>Any program (not limited to desktop or file managers) could
use the
>GetEA() API via C/C++/Guile/CORBA.
>Because these attributes could be attached to any file,
this has a big
>advantage over .lnk files.  Using this facility in
conjunction with
>symbolic links accomplishes what the .lnk ppl want, but in
a more
>flexible way.  This also permits adding attributes to
folders, files,
>etc.
>I'm not sure what the best way to internationalize these
settings would