Re: Don't waste time on offline newsreaders...

Toshio> I disagree that the Agent paradigm is inherently single user.
Toshio> I think it's just a matter of granularity.  Whatever program
Toshio> you have doing the downloads and cacheing just needs to keep
Toshio> track of what's in its cache on a smaller scale.  User A has
Toshio> read a Thread containing news items 1-5.  User B comes along
Toshio> the next day and wants to read the same thread, but it now
Toshio> includes message 7-9 as well.  The program doing the network
Toshio> transactions should be able to say, "Hey!  Just give me
Toshio> messages 7-9, I already have 1-5 in my global cache."

	Have you looked at nntpcached?  I'm using it here and what
you're talking about sounds close to what it does.  Info is at
www.nntpcache.org.

--
Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is user friendly.  It just happens
to be very selective about who it decides to make friends with.