Re: Don't waste time on offline newsreaders...

On 7 Feb 1998, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

> Under DOS/Win, offline newsreaders may be a necessary evil, but as
> we're talking Unix, we've no obligation to restrict ourselves to
> solutions appropriate for broken OSs.

You are right. But we must take care also about this.

> Specifically, there's both leafnode and another, more powerful,
> package called NewsCache, that appear as regular NNTP servers, but due
> to their caching characteristics can work as much more flexible,
> off-line sites.  In fact NewsCache allows you to do other, related
> stuff like seamlessly aggregating multiple NNTP servers.
>
> Really, doing anything other than a straight NNTP reader is probably a
> waste of effort.  You're duplicating work that's best done elsewhere.

True. But perhaps (in my opinion) write a front-end for this (or for skim
etc. etc.) is a good idea.
I prefer a single program to read the mail, a program to read the news and
so on.
Another idea can be to have a single program with two or more window to
read the news, read the mail, etc.

Gianluca

    Member of the Pluto Linux Users Group
  Avaible e-mail address: