splitting the gnome cvs

>	- Can I just do the directory shufling on the CVS repository?
>	  I want to keep the history of the files.

CVS is very weak at renaming and rearranging files.  There aren't nice
ways to deal with this.

At the moment, I take it you have one CVS module, and you'd like to
split it into several CVS modules, and distribute them separately.

If you go into the CVS repository and start renaming files, then any
working directories people may have will get very confused.  You have
to make sure everyone's got everything they care about checked in, and
then check out fresh working directories after you've renamed things.

Less error-prone is to simply create a new directory under $CVSROOT,
and copy the ,v files you want into it.  Once you've got everything as
you like it, you can just check out that new directory.

When I unbundled Guile into several packages, I started with one big
module called 'guile'.  I told everyone to check in any changes they
wanted to keep, gave them time to do so, made $CVSROOT/guile
read-only, and then created new subdirectories in $CVSROOT called
`guile-core', `guile-tcltk', `guile-rgx-ctax', and so on.