Re: Database for gnome

My understanding of the purpose of the Gnome project is to create an GUI
interface and applications that will make Linux into a mainstream
operating system.  With that in mind...

One advantage to using the ODBC api is that it is a widely used.   This
has three advantages if it were used/supported for Gnome.

1) It would reduce the learning curve for application vendors interested
in moving applications to Linux.

2) Having a freely available ODBC driver might encourage a database
vendor to port their own driver to Linux. (I'm not holding my breath on
this one, but you never know.)

3) Since there is an existing ODBC project out there, there is a good
chance that we can be lazy and reuse a lot of what has already been
written.

Although the Gnome project is going to produce a lot of cool
applications, general acceptance, IMHO, will mean getting existing
commercial vendors to port as well.

I'd also like to put in a vote for PostgreSQL.  They are going for a
full commercial feature set and have an active development group.
Redhat ships PostgreSQL with the operating system as well.

Greg