Re: GNOME registry

At 06:01 PM 12/30/98 -0600, you wrote:

>> What does GNOME provide along the lines of shared data storage?
>>
>> I was thinking that we really need some sort of central GNOME metadata
>> repository.  That would allow a user to set stuff like real name, e-mail
>> address, home page, etc.  I swear I type my e-mail address into every
>> third app nowadays.  :)
>>
>> Does something like this exist already?
>
>No, but this could go on a file we all agree for, something like the
>~/.gnome/User file.  What do you think?
>
>miguel.

Actually, a system wide Linux Regestry is currently being debated
in linux.development.system. someone there raised the possibility
of using a CORBA interface to configurator apps for a system wide
regestry/control panel. This sounds really cool (if not slow).

If gnome is to tackle a registry, I would like to see them do so in
a manner which is exportable beyond just Gnome.

That being said, what would the requirements of a registry be? Both
state and initilization information? Just one or the other?

One of the key abilities of Linux in terms of disaster recovery is that
configuration information tends to be text. For the real geeks out there,
there should be some way of editing this file by hand.
(Or store it in a DB, that you can generate ala Sendmail user lookup tables).

I would also like to see a VFS implementation of a configuration system.
It would make it very easy to make changes etc. (Maybe a more complicated
system with multiple trees overlaying each other, to build quick and easy
defaults).

Just ranting.

(All this being said, my coding skills are poor, but if anyone is
interested in something like
this, I would be happy to give it a try).