ESD hangs

I've been sitting on this one for a while hoping I would turn up some
more info on a website or on the list but no luck, so here goes.
Apologies if there is an easy fix for this listed someplace, but I
haven't been able to find it.

I've been trying GNOME from CVS for a few weeks now and on every build
when esd is run, it makes its startup beeps and then just sits there. If
I run xosview, I can see the IRQ used by the soundcard is lit up
continuously.  esdctl commands always fail and the only way to get the
soundcard back is to kill -9 esd.  These are essentially "stock" RedHat
5.2 systems with 2.0.36 kernels, compiling GNOME from a fresh cvs co,
and this happens on two different machines - both with sound systems
that work fine under Linux otherwise - one is a generic ESS sound chip
in SB emulation mode and one is a "for-real" SoundBlaster 64AWE.

This wouldn't be so big a deal except that at least a few GNOME apps
seem to want esd running before they will run (or need it installed
before they will compile) and of course with esd running, I lose access
to the sound devices from any other apps since esdctl won't let me turn
it off...

Derek Glidden                       http://www.illusionary.com
Illusionary.com                Home of the Pagan Resource Site
   Web development, database, graphics and general plumbing
Linux, FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP (Say No to NT!)