problems upgrading.

I am a new user to Linux.

guess you could say I am 6 reference manuals, eight news groups and two
many mail list to count old.
So far I have been using the RedHat 5.1 distribution.   Being a tweaker
I am not entirely satisfied with the package
and would like to use most of the newest utilities and apps out there.
To be specific GNOME & upgrading to the latest GTK libs.  Now when
trying to upgrade to the latest release of gnome I am faced with
upgrading all my libraries.   seems simple enough, but upgrading old
libraries means uninstalling all the dependencies (3/4 of the software)
then re-installing the upgraded library, then finding it needs several
other libraries and utilities which I have to go find.  Now this is
completely unrealistic and as enthusiastic as I am about the
Linux movement I am unwilling to put up with something this complicated.
Now being a newbie I am willing to accept the fact that I am completely
clueless and have no idea what I am doing, to be honest that would be
music to my ears.

Rowan [TSS]
Gerber Scientific Products
www.gspinc.com