Problems running (panel) and compiling (ORBit, libgtop) Gnome 0.99

Hi there,

I'm trying to get Gnome 0.99 to work, but I have some troubles doing so. I
don't thinks these are FAQs, I'm sorry if they do. I'm probably doing
something stupid which will take me hours to find out, while somebody could
tell me in ten seconds....

1) ORBit: First I had the problem with getting ORBit to compile. Well, I got
it to compile by adding -lpthread. While this helps getting ORBit compiled,
it is not the right solution (right?). I think the right solution is to make
sure the threading stuff is not used at all. So I made sure _REENTRANT was
#undef'ed, and now ORBit compiles happily, and the test programs do run. Did
I do the Right Thing (tm)?

2) Libgtop: When trying to get libgtop to compile, it breaks in netload.c

    In file included from netload.c:38:
    /usr/include/linux/icmp.h:80: field `__errno_location' declared as a
function
    In file included from netload.c:41:
    /usr/include/linux/ip_fw.h:253: field `timer' has incomplete type

(I have kernel version 2.0.36). Did I miss something? (Because of this
compilation error, some of the applets in gnome-core don't compile either)

3) Even with these problems, I should have _something_ runnable, right? So I
fire up X and type 'panel&'. Now I either get something like "could not
create dir /tmp/orb-root" (after which I delete that dir manually), or
"Could not get name service". Determined to a least get _something_ to run,
I type: 'gnome-name-service&', and now a 'panel&' won't give me errors, and
show up in 'ps', however, it _won't_ show up on my screen.... Then, in a
final, desperate attempt, I type 'gmc&', which will then instantly segfault
in the function 'metadata-get-list()'....

Please give me back my life, my Gnome!

Cheers,
    Dirk-Jan <djcb@dds.nl>