Re: New idea (was: Re: Package managment idea...)

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Matthew Berg wrote:

> Actually, I was kind of thinking about trying to write the "Ultimate
> Window Manager" for integration into desktop environments.  Considering
> that projects like GNOME already provide their own application lanchers,
> pagers, etc, and traditional window managers usually provide their own,
> I was thinking about writing a window manager core that would merely
> provide hooks for external modules to provide the window frames, app
> menus, etc, etc.
>
> The idea being that this would allow a replacement of the modules in
> order to make it look and feel however you want, without the need to go
> window manager hopping like people do now.

This is exactly what Enlightenment is. :-) Well, maybe it provides default
modules for all those things instead of merely providing hooks, but all
the things you mentioned are configurable and it works with the external
Gnome pagers and launchers.

Scwm also lets or will let you replace all that stuff, but modules are
written in Scheme instead of C.

Havoc