RE: Gnome/Linux Application Installer

Do you think it would be possible to get a group of people together and
rewrite libPropList to abstract config saving entirely. I have been playing
with directories, LDAP and NDS, and for large amounts of computers,
directories solve many configuring problems flat files have. But being the
Unix user I still like flat files. This poses an interesting problem. I
would like to use LDAP on large networks of Unix's and Flat files for single
stand alone boxes. If libPropList would be written like PAM, modules could
be used to save config data, one for files, one for LDAP. Novell might even
write a NDS one considering they are doing NDS for Linux any way. Maybe
because Microsoft Active directory is LDAP based, we could even save our
settings in there. (who would want to do that would be an entirely different
story.) I think since RedHat is going Enterprise and this is an Enterprise
feature, maybe they could have the RHAD Lab people work on it. Saving
settings like this would be easy for a programmer because they don't even
have to write file reading code. Less code would be required in the long run
and programs would be better configurable.