Re: UI Rantings [was: Re: gmc and file-selection mockups]

>I don't have a problem with features in general. What I do have a
>problem with are poorly implemented features, and I personally haven't
>heard an idea for a well implemented file selection dialog. As for using
>the Gmc object, I completely disagree. Gmc should use the Gnome object,
>not the other way around. I don't want to have to load Gnome and Gmc
>when Gnome alone would be sufficent -- and since Gnome is loaded with
>Gmc when it starts anyways... You get the idea.

I don't quite see your point here.  Are you saying that the gmc "files
panel" should be a separate component (neither a part of GMC nor the File
Dialog)?  That seems like a pretty low-level implementation issue to me, so
I'm not sure what the exact answer is, but my guess is that you are probably
correct.:)

>> >     Looking over some of the other suggestions, I came accross Double
>> >Right Clicking. Double Right Clicking?!?!?!? New users have a hard
>> >enough time dealing with double left clicking, why complicate the
>> >procedure needlessly.
>>
>> Fine, new users would never HAVE to double-right click anything.  It is a
>> convenience for people like me who like the idea.
>
>IMO, there shouldn't be things like that, because they confuse new
>users. All the functionality should be available all the time, and it
>should be set up a manner such than even the most inexperienced of users
>can deal with it.

Then we had better not do much.  :)  Seriously, "the most inexperienced"
users still have trouble with adequately controlling mice and understanding
that there are such things as context sensitive menus.  I know people who
have used Word/Wordperfect for Windows for years without ever knowing that
they could print a file without first opening the application and then
opening the document and then clicking print.  :)  We can't build the user
interface completely to the lowest common denominator no matter what we do.

And besides, right-double-clicking was not intended to replace any other
action, only add a convenient new way to do things.  Double left-clicking is
already nothing more than a quick way to access the "Open" item on the
context sensitive menu, so why not allow double right clicking to "Print"
for example?

> Double Right Clicking doesn't fall into that category.
>Not even close. (Of course, I'm not even going to go into the carpal
>tunnel issues...)

Er, ok, Carpel tunnel issues could be a problem.  It could also be a problem
for users who aren't knowledgeable enough to know the difference between
right and left clicking.

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/