Re: Gnome/Linux Application Installer

In message <6FFC44A65DE7D111B05400600890447C04BD3B@ex01.bhi-erc.com>, "Fox, Kev
in M" writes:
+-----
| Hmm, Nonrelocatable rpms (I think) are a result of how the program inside
| the rpm was made. I have seen paths hardcoded into programs before. This
| meens a binary RPM cant be relocated.
+--->8

My point was that (contrary to claims by some) *most* binary packages aren't
relocatable without some work.  RPM requires a package that can be relocated
to declare the relocateable prefixes it is prepared to cope with.  Some do,
many don't (including some which can be relocated easily by means of
environment variables or etc.).

RPM also supports multiple relocatable paths, so a package can be installed in
such a way as to fit into an /opt/app setup or a /usr/* setup if it supports
relocation fully.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu