Re: Proposal for File-Selection Dialog

Justin Ross wrote:

> I've been cooking up ideas for the file-selection dialog.  Actually, my
> scheme has come to include GMC now too.  Part of it is up, so please
> have a look at
>
>     http://www.olywa.net/opiskin/gnomeui/fileselection.html
>
> I'll continue to revise it based on people's responses.  Thanks.

this looks pretty good. i'd like to see some test code for this thing
get tested. it looks pretty intuitive right off the bat.

a few items:

1. i have a really big bone to pick with the dual-paned approach to file
management (tests have shown it to be quite counterintuitive; see
apple's file manager for a better approach to trees) but since you can
turn that off i don't have too much to complain about there. :)

2. the menu button is a good idea but must have a more intuitive icon. i
suggest using the mini-gnome-foot by default (since everywhere we see
it, it already means "click here for a menu!") but should be
user-configurable. if the gnome menu (or application menu or whatever)
makes it to the menu bar by default, it should use the same icon for
consistency.

3. i agree the up-arrow is a necessity, but its purpose should be made
more clear. the icon you have there now is non-intuitive.

4. i look forward to reading your reasons for using icons in the
pathname. i disagree but will reserve argument until after i've read
your proposition.

thanks for the mockups and well-thought-out ideas. i'm looking forward
to seeing more.
--
| To ensure privacy and data integrity this message |