Re: Where to install to

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 11:32:27PM +0000, Charles Collicutt scribbled:
> Hi,
>    In the CVS tutorial and various other places I've seen people talk
> about installing gnome in /opt/gnome. Is there a reason for this that I
> don't know about? What's wrong with the "normal" /usr/local/ ?
>

> --
> Charles

  My impression is that the reason for this is that it's so you can isolate
the tons of cruft Gnome installs from the rest of your system, also giving
you an exceedingly easy uninstall (rm -rf).  /opt/gnome isn't particularly
required though, I use /usr/local/gnome.

--
  Daniel Burrows

"I think that the surest sign that there is intelligent
 life out there is that none of it has tried to contact us."

  -- _Calvin and Hobbes_, Bill Watterson

PGP signature