Re: Spaces in file and directory names.

>> The directory hierarchy that is visible in the file manager
>> application has several directories with spaces in them: My Documents,
>> My Sounds and Spread Sheets.  Considering that spaces in filenames may
>> be chief in a range of silly ideas that have come out of MicroSoft I
>> would hope that the gnome project would not follow this lead.
>I personally don't see anything terribly wrong with spaces in filenames,
>and I would hardly call them a MicroSoft invention, nevertheless, those
>directories were created on the fly as part of a demo here at the labs, and
>are not part of any GNOME standard.

I hope so... cos some names look silly. My Foo, My Bar... My Ego (Lego?). >:]

Spaces are not bad, just choose decent names, short but descriptive. Foo and
Bar. If we can get no spaces by default, better (surely there is a place
where Gnome will run, but spaces will cause havoc). Be able to use, not be
forced. Let user choose to meet with " " problems, not all of us. ;]

BTW, computers are machines, not toys. Even if you get one for Xmas.

GSR

PS: Ok, maybe this is a local behaviour, and just here we dislike all this
"posesive" thing. Here it sounds stupid. Sorry if you are offended. And, to
add more wood to the fire: you will see other user dirs as "My Dir" too, no?
Arghh, more unuseful confusion! I see it: "Why does John have My Sounds?". >]