Re: build dependencies

>>>>> On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 00:22:54 -0800
>>>>> Jonathan Sergent <sergent+gnome@kgb.etla.net> said:

 Robbe> gnome-games-dep -a gnome-core-dep gnome-core gnome-objc-dep \
 Robbe> gnome-objc gnome-guile-dep gnome-guile

 Jonathan> Doesn't this get you gnome-games-dep/gnome-objc,
 Jonathan> gnome-games-dep/gtk+, and so forth (or does the -a make
 Jonathan> that not happen)?

No, IIRC, "cvs co gnome-games-dep" should be completely equivalent
to "cvs co gnome-core-dep gnome-core ... gnome-guile".

 Jonathan> I think it would make sense to make the -dep targets
 Jonathan> include the modules themselves to make it a bit less
 Jonathan> verbose.

Yes. It's probably not too common, that one wants only the
dependencies, but not the module itself.

 Jonathan> I think you also may end up checking things out twice if
 Jonathan> they are listed more than once. Or maybe CVS is smart
 Jonathan> enough to uniquify the list.

cvs 1.10 was smart enough in the test I just did.

 Jonathan> The other problem here is that you have to go ask the CVS
 Jonathan> server for the modules file again and again in order to do
 Jonathan> this in an automated fashion for a ``build of the system''.
[...]

 Jonathan> It would be nice to have the recursive checkout capability,
 Jonathan> regardless, but I think making a build system off of that
 Jonathan> would be suboptimal.

Probably. I now think that dependency information in the modules (i.e.
gnome-games/build-dependencies) is the way to go. One can always
autogenerate *-dep aliases into CVSROOT/modules from that.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>