Re: gnome pim - todo list?

Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > I have a lot of ideas written down on paper about a really nice todo
> > list.  It borrows a lot of features from Lotus Organizer.  If you don't
> > mind, let me know when you start thinking about this.

> Oh, please share them with us.

Well, here goes.  Transcribing from years-old notes.  The notes have
[printed] screenshots I wish I could share along with the text.

This is basically my impression of Lotus Organizer, their ideas with a
few additions/changes of my own.

Stuff in [brackets] is a variable representing a list of values.

> If you want to start working on enhacing the current TODO code, I
> would be more than happy.

My attention is far too subdivided as it is, but who knows...

	Jeff

todo views: overdue, current, future, completed

main window
	graphic representation of a daytimer lay flat like an open book.
	you can see little stuff like the rings from the virtual
	six-ring binder displayed on the screen.  There are two white
	pages visible (hence the open book analogy).

	left page displays:

		(left just) {month}, {year}     (right just) week {nn}
		thin black line separator
		(left just) {bold, day of month}, {day of week}
		list of todo items, where a single line contains:

			{colored number indicating priority}
			{text description of task, with a black line
			through the middle of the text, if the item is
			complete}

		thin black line separator at bottom of page
		centered text: "361st day, 4 days left"

	right page display is similar:

		(right just) {month}, {year}
		thin black line separator
		(right just, highlighted cuz its the current day)
			{day of week}, {day of month}
		line items, as on previous page
		separator and footer as on previous page

create task dialog
	buttons
		ok, cancel, help
		add - add task to list, clear dialog so we can add another
		alarm...
		repeat... - see below
		cost...
	date
		radio - no date
		radio - start {date entry w/ cal popup},
			due {date entry w/ cal popular}
	categories
		drop-down multi-sel of applicable categories
	priority
		1/2/3, none
	checkbox - completed on {date entry w/ cal popup}
	checkbox - confidential

repeat subdialog
	buttons
		ok, cancel, reset (clear), help
	repeats frame
		drop down: (first level: daily, weekly, etc.)
			daily
				every day
				every 2nd day
				every 3rd day
				every 31st day
			weekly
				every [dayname]
				every second [dayname]
				every eighth [dayname]
			monthly (dates)
				every [nth] month, on the
					[ 1-31st,
					  last day,
					  last working day,
					  first working day,
					  nth working day (1st-22nd) ]
			monthly (days)
				every [nth] month on the [nth] [day name]
			yearly
				every [nth] year
		drop down - (second level: every [nth] blah blah blah)
		list - select items based on item in above drop-downs.
		       If in the above drop-downs, "Weekly" and "Every"
		       are selected, this list will contain
		       "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", etc.
		custom dates subframe
			drop-down, with sample date greyed out in entry
				if no data present
			buttons: add, remove
	duration frame
		"starting date" - cal popup
		radio - "Until" {cal popup}
		radio - "For" {int value w/ spinner} ,
			drop down: "days", "weeks", "months", "years"
	"at weekends"
		drop down: "don't move", "move to friday", "move to
			monday", "move to nearest weekday", "delete"
	"Your selection" - An english summation of all of the above
	values.  Example:

		"Repeat Task Every Thursday from 12/28/95 until 1/3/96."