re: gnome

At the same time, GNOME is the only place we can reasonable expect to get
it installed. People writing GNOME applications don't want to have to
check the operating system in order to determine if they can mount an ftp
server. You can't reasonably expect every operating system that GNOME is
expected to eventually run on to implement VFS in their kernel. That's
just not sane.
If you want to be able to telnet into a machine running VFS and have
access to it, perhaps you should write a new shell program that will make
use of it.

Cody