Re: how should po/Makefile be created?

In message <366D33A2.C095EBD@istar.fr>, Frederic Devernay writes:
+-----
| it sounds like the stuff that makes po/Makefile from po/Makefile.in is
| not present in several packages' configure.in (gnome-core, -games,
| -libs, -media, -network, -objc, -pilot, -utils)
+--->8

Have you obtained the latest gettext from ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu?
po/Makefile.in.in is now generated by gettextize.

If you do have it, check what the installed share/gettext looks like ---
unless you already have the right tree structure, configure stuffs up and
creates bogus install code.  If share/gettext contains filenames beginning
with `intl-' then it's stuffed; remove share/gettext completely, then recreate
it with subdirectories `intl' and `po', then re-configure and reinstall
gettext.

I found that Makefile.in.in still didn't go in the right place even then, you
will have to manually move it from the `intl' to the `po' subdirectory after
installing it.

(Assembled GNOMErs:  the above is seriously weird.  But a look at our old
gettext installation demonstrates that it has the same configure/install bug.
Or am I missing something that is supposed to be obvious?)

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu