Help!

I was trying to make a small app to make my cvs autogen's and make's a
little bit more gnome and I got it to a point where it has all the buttons
for doing all those things. Now I was trying to put the results of the
commands in a text box.

I have the text box done and now I just need to make the text appear in
that text box. The obvious solution seams to be to read stdout but how can
I do it?

I'm sorry if the question seams stupid but I don't know much of C or
programming.