Re: make clean fails in ORBit?

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:
> Alex Nicolaou wrote:
> > $ make clean
> > Making clean in test
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/software/raw/gnome/ORBit/test'
> > make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../src/idl-compiler/orbit-idl',
> > needed by `echo.h'.  Stop.
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/software/raw/gnome/ORBit/test'
> > make: *** [clean-recursive] Error 1
> >
> > Anyone have a solution for this? I'm trying to write an automated
> > compile script but I don't want to rm & cvs checkout every time...

This can't really be helped.  You are running `make clean' on an
already clean tree.  You should, however, be able to compile still.
For an explanation, you'll have to look into how BUILT_SOURCES is
handled by automake.

A solution to `make clean' failing:

	$ make -k clean

An even better solution: don't build in the srcdir.  Do the following:

	$ cd /software/raw/gnome/ORBit
	$ mkdir build
	$ cd build
	$ ../configure --<options>
	$ make

Instead of a `make clean' to clear out the built stuff, just do

	$ cd /software/raw/gnome/ORBit
	$ rm -rf build

> $ find . -type d -name .defs | xargs rm -r
>
> Can somebody please update the FAQ?

Have you read the error message, or is this a Pavlovian response?

- Hari