GNUstep wants you! [was: Re: Commercial Development]

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Paul E. Johnson wrote:
>
> > I thought this was what GNUstep was for? Has anybody looked at it
> > lately to see if it is workable?
>
> If anyone has heard word one out of the GNUstep people in the last
> year, then I would love to hear about it.  When their web page was
> down for >8 months, that's when I gave up on them.  As far as I can
> tell, GNUstep is dead.

GNUstep is alive and well and is finally getting a fair share of raised
interest recently. The core developers are currently working on setting up
a CVS server for public access in the hope of attracting more contributing
developers. The project has finally reached a stage where people are
needed who are willing to write small sample applications to aid in
debugging and enhancement of the GNUstep core libraries. Please check out
"gnu.gnustep.discuss" via DejaNews for the discussions and progress
reports from the last weeks.

GNUstep simply lacks the great publicity which made KDE and GNOME become
so notorious/famous. The website is therefore hopelessly outdated and
everybody closely interested in getting up to date information about the
project's current status should rather check out either the newsgroup
"gnu.gnustep.discuss" or the GNUstep mailing list (which is BTW gated into
the newsgroup). On every 20th of the month snapshot releases of the
GNUstep core components are made available at

           "ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnustep/snap/".

European and especially german users might want to download all these
resources from "ftp://ietpd1.sowi.uni-mainz.de/pub/gnustep/" instead (as
soon as i've finished mirroring the snapshot stuff).

An OPENSTEP developer tutorial and a very good ObjectiveC tutorial can be
downloaded from "http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/rhapsody/".

The GNUstep project seeks more developers interested in doing actual work
to accelerate further progress. If anybody wants to help out please check
out "gnu.gnustep.discuss" and join. It would be really nice if some GNOME
people could contribute to the GNUstep effort's success.

                                   Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------
   --------------- http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig -----------------