esound does not make any noise

hi there!

On my machine (Linux 2.0.35) esound doesn't start. An error like
"unsopported format" occurs. Normal audio programs work fine, like
x11amp or tracker. My soundcard is a 16bit soundcard based on an Aztech
chip. (AZT2330, or something like that). There is only a certain
compatibility to SoundBlaster Pro, this makes the card just 8 bit aware
under Linux. Could it be possible that esound just works with 16-bit
soundcards?
esound -h does not print out any information about setting the bits to
just 8.
Does anybody know, what I could do? And, if I am right, i would suggest
some 8 bit support for the next release of esound, i need it.

thanky, lennart