libpng

Hi,

I recently tried to install gnome 0.28 on to my system ( a P90 running
Enlightenment 0.14) and I ran into a couple of problems.  First off,
since I didn't want to mess up any other programs that are dependant on
gtk1.0.4 I installed gnome into /opt/gnome by going in and modifying the
individual spec files ( I am using SRPMs).

The first problem I am having is with libpng.  Programs like panel are
either crashing or complaing excessively about libpng incompatiblities.
The errors typically look like this:

libpng error:  Incompatible libpng version in applicatin and library
convert:  Incompatible libpng version in applicatin and library
convert:  memory allocation failed.

I am using libpng 1.0.1 with imlib 1.7 and imagemagick 4.0.7-1.  The
errors I am presently getting are very similar to what I got with
enlightenment when I didn't have imlib properly installed.  However, E,
is working very smoothly now and I don't see why I would have these type
of errors if E is running smoothly - any help would be greatly
appreciated.

The second problem has to do with compiling some of the packages.  As I
said earlier, I have been placing everything for gnome under /opt/gnome.
This has been working fine with the exception of the gnome-guile
package.  The pacakge compiles fine, but when it tries to install the
program it runs into a linking problem (trying to link something that
doesn't exist).  So if anyone else has seen this problem please give me
a clue.

Nathan Alonzo Smith
TSX-5 SpaceCraft Engineer