Re: Compiling and installing gnome src.rpm's

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Endaf Jones wrote:

> To: gnome-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Compiling and installing gnome src.rpm's
> From: Endaf Jones <ejones@zener.com>
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to properly use gnome src.rpm files.
> This is probably due to the lack of deatailed documention with the RPM
> package.
>
> - I run "rpm --recompile glib-1.1.2-1.src.rpm"
>
> It seems to compile fine, but it installs the glib package in
> "/tmp/glib-root/".

Be patient - it will pack everything up after the installation is
complete ...

> Now what?  This can't be all, 'cause when I try and install gtk+, it
> complains that I don't have the correct version of glib, so my new glib
> isn't being installed.
>
> What I'm I doing wrong?

Well, nothing !

It's just the normal behavior of the RPM build process.

Perhaps I should explain this a little bit:
  To make the binary RPM, your `rpm' program needs to install
  the package somewhere cause it cannot know what a `make install'
  will do - and it uses /tmp/glib-root because this will

  a) Not break any installed software if the build fails

  b) Allow any user other than root to make the binary RPM

Just don't worry - when you install the RPM, it goes in /usr and
not in /tmp/glib-root.

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.org/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger me for public key or fetch finger.txt from the url above