Re: Argumentation on GUI design, was: Re: A few thoughts on Gnome.

Nils> <PROPOSAL>
Nils> I'd rather have _no_ defaults in a program - Just ask the
Nils> settings when starting the program first (or when it's upgraded,
Nils> ask for the settings of the new options), this would have the
Nils> programs made fit for each individual user, and no one ever
Nils> complains again because (s)he doesn't like the factory set
Nils> defaults :-)
Nils> </PROPOSAL>

I think this is a bad idea.  We should always pick defaults so that
things "just work" for less sophisticated users.  The wizards will
know how to configure things for themselves.

Sometimes what "just work" means is less than clear.  I think we
should just pick something, and then change it if we get complaints
saying that the defaults are confusing.

Tom