Re: A Question about Metadata storage

Whoops! Careless words cost flames. I completely misinterpreted Neil
Vachharajani's mail as a request for a gnome-safe tar when he was
advocating no changes to file-utils. Sorry.

I do not think gnome can or should attempt to change the file-utils.
However, I would be very surprised if wizards survive very long without
writing meta data aware mv and cp utilities. The file manager may be
nice but some just prefer typing.

It also occurs to me that inode numbers will be unavailable within tar
files so they can not act as a universal basis for hashing meta data.
This part of the VFS raises a different question: should the meta data
for tarred files be taken from a database inside the tar file ?

Felix