Re: GNOME ftpsite restructure

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:

> > I think it's easiest for me if I just upload the Gnome .debs directly
> > to master.debian.org (this would be easier for the people that port
> > them to other architectures, like alpha, as well).  There are other
> > developers who package other parts of gnome as well (ie. gmc,
> > gnome-perl, imlib, etc.).
>
> Would it be possible for you to send those binaries to ftp.gnome.org
> as well?  I would like to see Debian packages in the gnome ftp site as
> well.
>
> DrMike, can we give Jim Pick permission to write to the debian
> directories on the ftp site?

This is going to create a lot of extra "support" load on me.

The way things are now, when I upload things to Debian unstable - the
packages are in the same place as all the other packages they depend
upon, many of which are not in the stable released version of Debian.

If they are separated out, I'm going to get a lot of e-mails from
people running the stable released version of Debian who are looking
for additional packages that the Gnome packages depend upon.

I guess the solution to this is to also upload those packages as well,
and create a mini-distribution of Gnome+support packages that will run
well on top of the stable release of Debian (complete with a Packages
file).  I'd be willing to do this, except, I just don't have the time
to sort out all the issues and support that this would require.  And
I'd have to coordinate with the other maintainers who are doing Gnome
packages.

Perhaps we can get a volunteer that would be willing to do this?

Lars Hallberg <lah@micropp.se> was building a "Burning Edge Debian"
set of packages that was basically the same idea, but I no longer see
it at his site.

Cheers,

 - Jim