Re: more on gui piping

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 charles.j.hagenbuch@williams.edu wrote:

> For many tools that we are used to using, the metaphor is backwards.

Before talking about changing metaphores, paradigms, or anything else, let
me just say this:  OS/2 decided that data is not associated with
applications, but rather that applications are associated with data.  This
was horribly confusing and one of the most asked questions, eg: How do I
associate *.gif to pmview?  You could edit the attributes of the GIF file,
and *that* file would open with pmview, but none of the other GIF files.
I should also mention that OS/2 has no "file manager".  But the answer is
to open the attributes of pmview, and associate *it* with *.gif.

This sounds simple enough (and really is) but it was extremely confusing
to people who wanted to manipulate *data*, not *programs*.

--
Christopher Curtis               - http://www.ee.fit.edu/users/ccurtis
                                 - System Administrator, Programmer