Re: [Summary] Meta-data/filesystem-encapsulation

> because the data is WITH THE FILE.  Is it clearer?

 My last words on the topic:
    1/ it is extremely clear that trying by all means to keep the metadata
       with the data doesn't work, forget about it !
    2/ Keeping that in mind, design your application for being able to
       detect the loss of metadata, and build powerful set of interfaces
       to lookup/load/save the metadata associated with an object reference
       (name, filename, URI, Object ID, ...).

Any solution based on:
  - LD_PRELOAD
  - Specificities of filesystems
  - modification of standard daemon
  - kernel changes

Should be banned at the very second you think about it, and I will do
my best to avoid their integration as standard part of Gnome.

If linux was an Os built from scratch (I mean without guidelines) all of
your suggestions would be sound and I would be enthusiastic, OS/2, MacOs
etc. were not designed with cross platform code reuse in mind. Gnome is !

  Back to code and sane design practice !

 Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,