[FreeBSD] - PreRelease of LibGTop and LibGTop-Apps

[This is not yet the official announce of the upcoming libgtop stable
 release - it is intended to let FreeBSD people see what is coming soon]

Good news for FreeBSD people:

I'm going to make a stable release of LibGTop and LibGTop-Apps somewhere
next week - you can then use

* Applets: cpuload, cpumemusage and the new multiload one
           (contains cpu, memory and swap usage)

* GTop: This cool Gnome App is really going to work on FreeBSD and on
        every other plattform LibGTop is ported on; at the moment it
        doesn't have to full functionality it has under Linux - but
        you can already see the `procview' and `memusage' notebook
        pages - process details are not yet working; also it's showing
        wrong memory sizes (known bug in LibGTop).

At the moment there are no .tar.gz files available until I made the
stable release - well, it would cost me too much bandwich to upload
a .tar.gz over my ISDN link each time I made a small change ...

So you need to get the sources from CVS (for those of you without a
caching nameserver: `anoncvs.gnome.org' is 209.81.8.242 - or is this
aleady fixed?).

LibGTop is in the `libgtop' module and should be given the
`--with-gnome=directory' parameter if it can't find Gnome otherwise
(you only need gnome-libs, otherwise it installs its own libgnomesupport).

NOTE: You need to mount the /proc filesystem of FreeBSD (kvm_uread () uses
      /dev/<pid>/mem) and to make $(prefix)/bin/libgtop_server SGID to
      kmem by hand after you installed it.

The applets and GTop are in the `libgtop-apps' module; GTop is not
compiled by default so you have to manually cd into the `gtop' directory
and do a `gmake' to get it.

Well, the panel is not yet working with ORBit (at least on my machine),
so you need to install mico - this is AFAIK even required under Linux if
you want to have the multiview applets).

Have fun,

Martin

P.S.: Many thanks to Josh Sled for large parts of the FreeBSD port
      of LibGTop !

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.org/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger me for public key or fetch finger.txt from the url above