Re: panel error *** ORBit patch ***

On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 04:52:40 PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, James Michael Mastros wrote:
> > > DNS does not have to be involved, /etc/hosts is your friend.
> >
> > Still, when the lookups fail, 127.0.0.1 is your friend.
> >
> > In any case, how about this hack: when making the connection, check if both
> > ends are the same machine -- and if so, ignore the given IPs/hostnames, and
> > use 127.0.0.1 instead.
>
> How are you going to check if both ends are on the same machine?
Send a packet to yourself.  If you can succesufuly talk to yourself, then
your good.  If not, you are probably talking to sombody else.

> That's why we need hostnames! They do this for us! They _are_ the unique
> identifier that distinguishes different hosts :-)
Not really.  One host can have more then one hostname (think of multuple
ethernet cards, each with a different reverse DNS.  Fun, yes.  I think the
packet-to-self method is the only reliable method.  I wonder if people who
aren't crazy would have thought of it.)

> > > 	- The 'hostname' and/or FQDN retrieved using the above procedure
> > > 	  should be valid for the lifetime of a CORBA server (and the
> > >	  [objects.)]
> > This is the killer -- sometimes the `hostname` will resolve to a remote
> > address, and then at a later point you will loose remote connectivity, or
> > the address will change.  (This futzes X too, but there you can manualy
> > overide it's guess where the server lives.)
>
> ORBit doesn't care if _the IP address that 'hostname' points to_ is valid
> for the lifetime of the CORBA server, only the 'hostname' itself. Just
> point 'hostname' to a different IP address as needed, and new connections
> will continue to succeed.
Ahh... I missed that.  I'm really loosing it...  Sorry.  The old ones will
die, will they attempt to re-attach themselves?

	-=- James Mastros
--
A basement-GNOME (http://www.gnome.org/) with PIP (IETF group) and WINE
(http://www.winehq.com/).  Not really as impressive as it might sound, or as