Re: emacs-style user interface

Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> I just tried to implement an emacs-style user interface based on
> gnome-mdi - see
> the proposal at http://www.jimpick.com/gnome/ui-proposal/
>
> But before I continue I want to ask if someone is already working on
> this?

I've started on something similar - but definitely NOT the same.  Check
out
	http://jsmith.physics.tamu.edu/gnome/GNOMEBook
for my thoughts.  I'm wanting to use Guile as both the extension
language and the implimentation (as much as is feasible).

The main difference I can imagine is that yours would be task
(application) oriented (going by the URL you quote) while mine would be
object (document) oriented.

No offence, but I'm not sure if we'd want to join forces or not - I'm
rooting for the document oriented interface.  It _might_ be possible to
develope a package that could be both, but we might be better off
developing two separate packages - though they could share code.

I'm trying to steer clear of an MDI interface - personal opinion,
nothing more (at this point).  I'm trying to design the interface as a
notebook instead of a collection of windows on the desktop.  I
personally don't like having windows confined to other windows - I can't
spread things about on the desktop.  Of course, for every person like me
there's ten more that like MDI, so...

--Jim Smith