Re: Changing mousepointer...

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > > not really.  or at least I do not know of any way to do so.
> >
> > "man xsetroot"
> >
> > 	 -cursor cursorfile maskfile
>
> The problem is that this only applies to the root window.

But with Gnome we also have control over many applications.

All you'd need to do is define some stock cursor handles (I guess Gtk
already has some, so there may be some Gtk modification involved, or this
may be a Gtk-level issue). But basically you have apps ask for the
GNOME_BUSY_CURSOR instead of loading their own hourglass, or
GNOME_IBAR_CURSOR instead of their own I-bar, etc. Once this API is in
place you can add customization at any time.

Standardization means customization, remember - as long as all the apps
use the same API, you can globally customize. (thus the foolishness of
those who post complaining that Gnome means loss of flexibility...)

Havoc