Re: ANNOUNCE gnome-db

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote:
> I thinks its a great idea to have standardized database access, so good luck
> with it. However, IMO, you should _NOT_ have a Gnome specific API!!!!
> There's nothing inherently GNOME'ish about database access, so lets keep the
> things separated! Why not write a stuff for _generic_ database access (so
> people can use it from CLI, Motif, KDE, Berlin, whatever), and then write
> Gnome (GTK) specific stuff (like an Access clone).

If I have my way and get my foot into the code for gnome-db, it will not be
GNOME specific, except the widgets.  My end goal is to write an
uber-Access/Paradox app.

> Its a really bad MS-like strategy to lock your "customers" in. IMO opinion
> all GNOME software should have their GNOME-specifics optional, so nobody is
> forced into anything. E.g. Orbit and the Orbit/OLE stuff (as proposed) will
> we Gnome independent Suppose GIMP
> would only run on GNOME, that would be bad, wouldn't it?

Agreed.  Read further for issues with ORBit.

> I was a bit sceptical earlier about the MS-ADO (active data something) when
> someone suggested this.

This is the hierarchy you suggest:
> [ado]
> [odbc]
> [database]

This is the hierarchy I like:

GNOME widgets    any application (KDE, X, Java, Mac, Windows)
	|		|

	CORBA client

	CORBA server

	ODBC

	database

Thus you could really use any ORB, and not just ORBit, so long as everyone is
kosher with everyone else.  This removes the language problems also, so long as
there is a ORB available for a given language, that language can interface with
the API.

Does this give everyone a happy warm feeling?