Re: GNOME & KOM/OP

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Chris Knight wrote:

> Interesting...
>
> It'd really help programmers that have to use libraries from types
> like Raster :-)

I should be clear that I'm picking on raster on this front with absolutely
no good reason at all.  He is a very good programmer, and I respect him a
lot, and he's not the only one who does this sort of thing.  Please don't
put any "#ifdef TODDS_MACHINE"'s in imlib!  8^)

> What kind of speed hit are we talking about though? Is there any difference
> between calling directly to a library and using GOM instead?

Well, the underlying mechanism for all of this is CORBA, so the ORBit people
can probably answer authoritatively.  Elliot seems to think that he can do
CORBA calls in the same address space without mashalling the parameters, which
would let you get pretty close to the same speed as shared libraries.  I'll
let someone else answer this one further.

--
Todd Graham Lewis                                     (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net