Re: GNOME Database Kit

Hello guys,

I've been watching this list for a while now and I must ask one
question:

Why oh why must Gnome programmers insist on reimplimenting *everything*?

Gnome is a desktop. (or is it anymore?) It seems to me Gnome is trying
do everything. Use existing libraries if the existing libraries are
sufficient...

Otherwise, go ahead and code your own. But, why must they be tied to
Gnome? Abstract these libraries to work from anywhere. Glib doesn't say
you have to be a GTK application to use it.

I would feel much more comfortable if, during the course of a Gnome
project, someone decided to make a spin off project and keep it separate

from Gnome, rather than  throw yet another dependency into the whole
scheme. Orbit, while part of Gnome, can (to the best of my knowledge) be

used from any program who's language has bindings. Designing a new
libraries' API to work exclusively or (at first glance) better with
Gnome
will eventually prove deficiencies in the API. API's locked into one
system for one specific purpose rarely ever become useful or *standard*.

My point is to not try and do everything. If you do, you'll soon start
loose sight of your project's true goals... To create an attractive,
simple, bug free and yet efficient desktop.

Chris Knight
cknite@danville.net

Jan Kellmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the last few days (since I subscribed to this list, SO I'M NEW) I
> thought about some database connectivity too.
> On Linux there are many powerfull databases, but all of them are DB
> servers, with no easy-to-use front-end for developing some DB
> applications. I really miss an application like Corel
(Borland/Inprise)