Re: GNOME Database Kit Part II

Adam Keys wrote:

> ODBC is probably a bit large and unwieldy for our needs as far as I can
> see.  It's well thought out, but there's nothing that stops us from
> stealing their ideas...if the shoe fits, steal it!  I've been unable to
> find info on the FreeODBC project, which looks like the most promising
> lead in that direction.  If someone wants to send me a white paper or a
> URL, I'd be enlightened to give them a look-see.  Right now my verdict
> is start from scratch and steal as neccessary. :)

And then we have to write specialized drivers that use your API if we
want to connect databases to gnome?

If you use ODBC, then gnome apps will likely be able to connect to
Oracle,
Informix, and all the other new databases that are starting to support
linux.

How much harder can it possibly be to use ODBC than to roll your own
database
API?  It sounds like NIH to me.

Somebody even said there was an ODBC development kit out from
Microsoft.  That would certainly help you a little.

It just seems dumb to come up with a new API and then expect database
vendors to support something new.  They're not going to do it.  They'll
probably do ODBC
drivers, but it's doubtful they'll write drivers for your API.  After
all,
Postgresql and MySql aren't the only dbms out there, and they certainly
aren't
superior to the commercial offerings.

A better compromise might be to come up with some middleware.  Gnome
apps can use
your API to talk to a server process, which then translates the requests
into
ODBC requests.  That way you get to have a simple API for Gnome apps to
use, but
you'll also get ODBC connectivity.

Later,
Ben Boule